Monday, August 27, 2012

What does that hold on my account mean?

You may or may not have noticed a new hold on your student account in Student Center.  You may have freaked out a little bit or you may not have cared, well I am here to say not to worry.

First off, this is what the hold looks like:

 Click on details to see more.  This is the next screen you will see:
Now you may be questioning what Advising means or questioning what this hold means.  This hold has been put on your account due to the semester conversion.  In previous posts, I have mentioned I.A.P.s, this post is an Individual Advisement Plan hold.  It does not limit you from enrolling in classes for the winter or spring quarters; however, if you do not meet with your advisor before Fall 2013 Semester Enrollment (in approximately April 2013), you will not be allowed to enroll in classes.  Only your advisor can remove this hold.

You will need to see your advisor prior to the conversion; in order to, guarantee that you stay on track and graduate on time.  For those students graduating at the end the 2012-13 year, this hold does not apply to you.  For those not graduating this year, your advisor will be contacting you over the course of the next few months to set up an appointment.

You can bring any questions and concerns to this meeting and you and your advisor can sort through them together.

It is also important to remember, the IAP hold does not restrict you from registering for Winter and Spring classes, it will restrict you from registering for Fall Semester classes.  If you can not enroll in Winter Classes you may have a different hold on your account.  These holds could include a dean's hold, another advising hold, or a financial hold.  These holds will need to be resolved prior to enrollment and have nothing to do with semester conversion.

All students that were new to RIT this fall will have an advising hold on their account to talk over their next quarter schedules.  These two advising holds are different.  One is Academic Advising (IAP) and the other is Advising Required and if you have both, you will need to see your advisor to remove the winter quarter registration hold.

If you have any questions about holds you can email your advisor, stop into student services, or contact us on our Semester Conversion Facebook or Twitter.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Semester's Bring: Optional Classes on Breaks


Do you want to:

  • Engage in research projects with faculty?
  • Participate in a shortened study abroad experience?
  • Catch up with classes?
  • Get ahead in classes?
  • Take unique electives?
  • Take co-curricular courses?
But do not have the time with the quarter system?

Well these things may not have been possible on the quarter system but with the semester conversion this will all be possible.  The optional January Intersession will provide students with all of the above opportunities.  The intersession will run during the winter break between the Fall Semester and the Spring Semester and will last three weeks.

It is important to remember this session will be completely optional, as well as, the ten week summer term.

More information will be released regarding the 2013-14 intersession in the future.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

What Will Co-Ops be like in Semesters?

Cooperative Education, is one of the programs that defines Rochester Institute of Technology students.  Co-op provides students with required work experience and gives RIT student their competitive advantage when they enter into the workforce.  But some students are worried that with the upcoming switch to semesters, the co-op program is going to be less of an RIT staple.  Don't worry, co-ops are still going to be incorporated into school requirements, just a little differently.  Below is a list of the following co-op requirements throughout RIT (provided by the different colleges).

B. Thomas Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences

Computer Science – Two semesters and one summer
Game Design and Development – Two summers
Information Security & Forensics – Two summers
Information Technology – Two summers
Medical Informatics – Two summers
Networking and System Administration – Two summers
New Media Interactive Development - Two summers
Software Engineering – Two semesters and one summer

College of Applied Science and Technology (those that require Co-op)

Computer Engineering Technology - 2 semesters and 2 summers
Civil Engineering Technology - 2 semesters and 2 summers
Electrical Engineering Technology - 2 semesters and 2 summers
Electrical Mechanical Engineering Technology - 2 semesters and 2 summers
Environmental Sustainability, Health & Safety - 2 semesters and 2 summers
Manufacturing Engineering Technology - 2 semesters and 2 summers
Packaging Science - 2 semesters
International Hospitality and Service Management - 2 semesters and one summer

College of Imaging Arts and Sciences

Undergraduates in two different degree programs in the College of Imaging Arts and Sciences are required to participate in cooperative education.
Students in the Photographic and Imaging Technologies program which includes both the Biomedical Photographic Communications and Imaging and Photographic Technologies options will be required to complete one summer co-op.
Students in the Media Arts and Technology program in the School of Print Media will be required to participate in co-op as follows: Either two summer sessions, or one semester and one summer session, or one semester and one intersession period.

E. Philip Saunders College of Business:

Undergraduate students must have a co-op experience based on the policies outlined below:
  1. One semester of full-time employment or a minimum of 560 hours.
  2. Two summer terms of full-time employment, where a summer term is at least 8 weeks or a minimum of 280 hours.
With Director of Student Services approval, a study abroad experience may be used to satisfy a maximum of 280 hours of co-op experience.

College of Liberal Arts (that require co-op)

Advertising and Public Relations – one summer
International Studies – one semester or summer co-op or internship or study abroad experience
Journalism – one summer
Museum Studies – one summer co-op or internship
Communication – one summer
Psychology – one summer
Public Policy – one summer co-op or internship
Sociology/Anthropology – one summer co-op or practicum experience

Kate Gleason College of Engineering

All undergraduates in the Kate Gleason College are required to participate in cooperative education. The requirement includes two semesters and two summers. 
Students who will be at RIT through the conversion will be working with their advisors to develop their individual advisement plans over the next year to keep them on track for graduation.  These IAPs will incorporate Co-Op requirements into them, so that a student with 2 quarter co-ops left to complete, can transition that requirement into the semester system.  RIT is here for their students in this transition and if you have any questions contact your academic department or write to us through our Facebook (RIT Semester Conversion) or Twitter Page (@RITConversion).